CE Audit at a Glance
To assure certified individuals comply with CBDM recertification requirements to maintain their CDM, CFPP credential. Maintaining certification demonstrates the CDM, CFPP's commitment to professional growth and continued competence.
Conducted annually. Selected individuals are notified via e-mail on June 1 about selection for the CE Audit and required actions.
- CDM, CFPPs who report less than the minimum required CE hours by May 31 of the third year of their three-year recertification period.
- CDM, CFPPs whose three-year recertification periods ends May 31 may be randomly selected for the CE Audit, even if they have reported the minimum required CE requirements.
- Others who do not comply with laws and regulations related to the profession, including ethical violations, may be selected.
- CE record is reviewed for compliance with CBDM policy for hours and required documentation for each reported program. View a list of definitions about certification and CE Audit status that you may see in your ANFP record.
- All recertification and CE Audit requirements must be fully met by stated deadlines.
- Deficiencies (CE hours and/or required documentation) identified during the CE Audit must be removed. CBDM must approve the program and documentation for the reported hours to be eligible toward recertification requirements.
- Certification status remains active during the CE Audit process and until the CE Audit process is complete, as long as the annual certification fees are paid up to date.
- Failure to fully meet all recertification and CE Audit requirements will result in your certification being terminated.
- If you pass the CE Audit, your next recertification period begins when CBDM sends written e-mail notice of passing the CE Audit.
- If you fail the CE Audit:
- CBDM sends written e-mail notice of failing the CE Audit.
- Your certification will be terminated and you are no longer entitled to use the CDM, CFPP credential or represent yourself as being certified. E-mail and mailed notification of certification termination will be sent to the individual at the address on file in their ANFP record.
- To become certified again, you will be required to meet a current pathway of eligibility, submit a new exam application with fees for CBDM review and approval, receive a passing score on the CDM Credentialing Exam, and activate your certification within one year of passing the exam.
- You have the right to appeal the outcome of the CE Audit in accordance with the CBDM appeals policy.
For full CBDM policy on recertification and CE Audit requirements, refer to the CBDM Guide to Maintaining Your CDM, CFPP Credential.
CBDM made a policy change in January 2019 requiring CDM, CFPPs to meet all CE requirements (45 total continuing education hours, including nine Sanitation/Safety CE hours and one Professional Ethics CE hour) by May 31 of the last year of their three-year recertification period. Individuals not meeting this requirement, would have their CDM, CFPP credential terminated. This policy was to be implemented as of May 31, 2020.
Due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and the continued challenges that we find our profession dealing with, CBDM has made the decision to postpone implementation of this policy.
What does this mean for me? For CDM, CFPPs whose three-year recertification period ends May 31, 2023, and who fail to submit the minimum CE hours and documentation for each CE activity, your certification will not be terminated. As long as your certification is active on May 31 of the third year of your recertification period, you will be automatically placed in the CE Audit process and be required to pass the CE Audit in order to remain actively certified. To pass the CE Audit, you must meet all recertification and CE Audit requirements. Failure to do so will result in your certification being terminated.
Notice of CE Audit selection will be sent by e-mail on June 1. Selected individuals will be required to take all stated actions to pass the CE Audit.
To avoid missing critical communications about required actions and deadlines, make sure your contact information in your ANFP record is accurate and current. Watch your e-mails for updates to CBDM polices or other matters regarding the CBDM Certification Program. You may also contact CBDM at info@CBDMonline.org or 800.323.1908, select option 1 (Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CT).
Informational Video on CE Audit
This following video is available for free 0.50 CE hours in the ANFP Marketplace when you place it in your cart and complete all required activities. You will also have access to a copy of the PowerPoint slides.
This video presents information the following information about the CE Audit process and requirements:
- Types of eligible CE activities, required documentation, and number of CE hours required to meet CDM, CFPP recertification requirements
- Actions required to successfully pass the CE Audit in accordance with CBDM policy
- How to report CE programs and upload electronically the required documentation via the My Certification page of your ANFP record
NOTE: Produced in 2021, the stated recertification and CE Audit policy is still accurate with the exception of deadline year stated in the webinar. Major deadlines are as follows and more information is available on https://www.cbdmonline.org/ce-audit.
- June 30, 2022 - deadline to take all actions stated in e-mail notification of CE Audit selection and date by which an extension must be requested and approved
- September 1, 2022 - first day of the CE Audit extension period
- November 30, 2022 – deadline to meet all recertification and CE Audit requirements for those approved for the CE Audit extension
- May 31, 2025 – end date for next three-year recertification period for those who pass the CE Audit. This date does not apply to individuals who were in the CE Audit Extension process and passed the CE Audit.
Download the CBDM Guide to Maintaining
Your CDM, CFPP Credential
For more detailed information about recertification policies, refer to the CBDM Guide to Maintaining your CDM, CFPP Credential and the Self-Reporting Frequently Asked Questions.
- CE requirements
- Eligible CE activities and required documentation
- Recertification and CE Audit policy
- How to self-report CE
CE Audit Status Definitions
If you are in the CE Audit and your ANFP record is not under CBDM review, you have access to review your reported CE activities. For a CE activity to be CBDM approved, all requirements must be met in accordance with CBDM policy including the submitted documentation. Become familiar with the CE Audit status definitions.
CE Audit Extension
CBDM recognizes that there may be situations that affect CDM, CFPPs personally and professionally, and may impact having the time to meet recertification requirements. Individuals selected for CE Audit may be eligible for an extension to fulfill the CE Audit and recertification requirements. Learn more about how to qualify for an extension and other CE Audit extension policies below.
CBDM Appeal Process
To submit an appeal to CBDM, you must do so in accordance with CBDM policy and you must use the CBDM Appeal Form. For more information about the Appeals process and policy, refer to the CBDM Guide to Maintaining Your CDM, CFPP Credential.
CBDM Appeals Committee Appeals Process
An appellant may choose to appeal CBDM's decision by submitting their written intent to appeal to the CBDM Appeals Committee at appeals@CBDMonline.org. The e-mail must also include the appellant's name, e-mail address, and mailing address as in their ANFP record. The CBDM Appeals Committee will be presented the same appeal that appellant submitted to CBDM. No new information will be presented. The decision of the CBDM Appeals Committee is final.
For more information about the Appeals process policy, refer to the CBDM Guide to Maintaining Your CDM, CFPP Credential.