The Certifying Board for Dietary Managers® (CBDM®) is the credentialing agency responsible for establishing and upholding policies for and administration of the CDM, CFPP Certification Program. The exam is conducted by a nationally-recognized examination services provider. The CDM, CFPP Certification Program is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
Code of Ethics
The Certifying Board for Dietary Managers has a formal policy, the Code of Ethics for the Certified Dietary Manager, and procedures which incorporate due process, for the discipline of certificants. The Code of Ethics and procedures include the sanction of revocation of the certificate, for conduct which clearly indicates incompetence, unethical behavior and physical or mental impairment affecting the performance of the Certified Dietary Manager.
Code of Ethics for the Certified Dietary Manager
The Certifying Board for Dietary Managers believes it is in the best interests of the profession and the public it serves that a Code of Ethics provide guidance to Certified Dietary Managers in their professional practice and conduct. Certified Dietary Managers have voluntarily developed a Code of Ethics to reflect the ethical principles guiding the Certified Dietary Manager and to outline commitments and obligations of the CDM, CFPP to self, client, society, and the profession.
The purpose of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers is to assist in the effective management of dietary operations, safety and welfare of the public by establishing and enforcing qualifications for Dietary Manager certification and for issuing voluntary credentials to individuals who have attained those qualifications. The Certifying Board has adopted this Code to apply to individuals who hold these credentials.
The Ethics Code applies in its entirety to certified members of the Association of Nutrition & Foodservice Professionals (ANFP). The Code applies to all CDM, CFPPs who are not ANFP members. All of the aforementioned are referred to in the Code as “Certified Dietary Managers.”
- The Certified Dietary Manager provides professional services with objectivity and with respect for the unique needs and values of individuals.
- The Certified Dietary Manager avoids discrimination against other individuals on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin and complies with EEOC & ADA requirements and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- The Certified Dietary Manager fulfills professional commitments in good faith.
- The Certified Dietary Manager conducts himself/herself with honesty, integrity and fairness.
- The Certified Dietary Manager endeavors to act impartially in all decisions while fulfilling professional duties and agrees to disclose any existing or potential conflicts of interest.
- The Certified Dietary Manager practices dietary management based on professional principles.
- The Certified Dietary Manager assumes responsibility and accountability for personal and professional competence in practice.
- The Certified Dietary Manager maintains confidentiality of all protected information and adheres to privacy and security rules of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and all other federal, state and local requirements.
- The Certified Dietary Manager exercises professional judgment within the limits of his/her qualifications and seeks counsel or makes referrals as appropriate.
- The Certified Dietary Manager provides sufficient information to enable clients to make their own informed decisions.
- The Certified Dietary Manager promotes or endorses products in a manner that is neither false nor misleading.
- The Certified Dietary Manager permits use of his/her name for the purpose of certifying that dietary services have been rendered only if he/she has provided or supervised the provision of those services.
- The Certified Dietary Manager accurately presents professional qualifications and credentials.
The Certified Dietary Manager uses “CDM and CFPP” or Certified Dietary Manager and Certified Food Protection Professional only when certification is current and authorized by the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers.
The Certified Dietary Manager complies with all requirements of the Certifying Board’s certification program in which he/she is seeking initial or continued credentials from the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers.
The Certified Dietary Manager is subject to disciplinary action for aiding another person in violating any Certifying Board certification requirements or aiding another person in representing himself/herself as a Certified Dietary Manager when he/she is not.
- The Certified Dietary Manager presents substantiated information and interprets controversial information without personal bias, recognizing that legitimate differences of opinion exist.
- The CDM provides objective evaluation of candidates for professional association memberships, awards, scholarships or job advancement.
- The Certified Dietary Manager voluntarily withdraws from professional practice if personal circumstances could negatively affect or harm the client or organization that serves the client.
- The Certified Dietary Manager complies with all applicable laws and regulations concerning the profession. The CDM is subject to disciplinary action under the following circumstances.
The CDM has been disciplined by a state chapter and at least one of the grounds for discipline is the same or substantially equivalent to these principles contained herein.
The CDM has committed an act of misfeasance or malfeasance which is directly related to the practice of the profession as determined by a court of competent jurisdiction, a licensing board, or any agency or a governmental body.
- The Certified Dietary Manager accepts the obligation to protect society and the profession by upholding the Code of Ethics for the profession of Dietary Management and by reporting alleged violations of the Code through the review process of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers.
Click below to download a printable flyer with the information on this page.
Printable PDF Flyer