Event Attendees Earning Continuing Education

CE Self-Reporting FAQ

Q:  What activities qualify for CE hours?

A:  Participation in educational programs on topics related to Nutrition, Foodservice, Personnel and Communications, Health Care, Sanitation and Food Safety, and Business Operations qualify for CE. Please see the CBDM Guide To Maintaining Your CDM, CFPP Credential brochure for additional information on qualifying activities.

Q:  Why does the status say submitted for some of my events?

A:  All hours submitted online under the self-reporting system will show the “submitted” status unless the education is a prior approved course for which your certificate shows a CBDM approved number and was reported using the prior approved course option.

Q:  How many hours can I report for ServSafe?

A:  It depends on the length of the course. Please keep a copy of the letter from the instructor or agenda from class to verify the amount of hours reported.  Required documentation is the course outline or agenda, along with your certificate of completion from the course (not exam). CE credit is not allowed for breaks, lunches, or exams.

Q:  Do I need to enter any online ANFP courses?

A:  No, all ANFP online courses automatically get entered once completed, and are also audit proof.

Q:  Can I get CE credit for a program previously attended?

A:  Once CE hours have been earned for a specific program, it cannot be resubmitted for credit again, regardless of whether it is in a new certification period. Credit can only be earned once for any given program.

Q:  If I earn extra CE hrs in my qualifying period, can I transfer them to the next 3-year period?

A:  No, CE cannot be transferred to future CE periods.

Q:  Can I report Food Shows for CE hrs?

A:  You can earn a maximum of 5 CE hours per 3-year CE cycle by attending exhibits at food shows. A copy of a badge, receipt or certificate and page from a flyer or brochure showing the amount of time allocated to the food show and to each seminar attended must be filed for auditing/verification purposes.

Q:  Can I earn CE for college coursework?

A:  Yes. Each semester/credit hour is worth 18 CE credits.

Q:  What types of programs are considered “Sanitation and Food Safety”?

A:  Programs that address safe food handling and storage, infection control, time and temperature regulations, HACCP principles, food allergies, HIV/AIDS, ServSafe training programs, hygiene, disaster planning and pandemic disease are eligible for sanitation CE.

Q:  What happens if I report more than the 9 CE hours required for Food Safety and Sanitation?

A:  Any Food Safety and Sanitation CE that exceeds the 9 CE hour requirement will automatically convert to General CE hours.

Q:  If I had more than five Sanitation CE before the increase to nine hours, will those extra Sanitation hours that converted to General CE hours be put back into my Sanitation CE requirement?

A:  Yes. Any Sanitation CE above the five hours that were required prior to June 1, 2017, will be automatically applied to the nine-hour Sanitation CE requirement, as long as it is within the same three-year recertification period.

Q:  Do I report an inservice program for CE hrs?

A:  Yes. However, if the meeting content relates to company/facility policy, procedure, production, HR issues, etc. it will not qualify for CE credit. Inservice programs must meet the criteria for continuing education programs, for date and time, topic, agenda, and proof of attendance.

Q:  If I make a mistake while entering hours can I edit it?

A:  At this time you can not edit your CE report. Please contact the PDS Department and they can make any changes at info@CBDMonline.org or 800.323.1908.

Q:  How do I use a Subsequent Approval Form?

A:  Effective June 1, 2014 Subsequent Approval Forms are no longer necessary. The most effective way to report your CE hours is through CE self-reporting.

Q:  What happens if I don’t meet the requirements for CE and the annual maintenance fee?

A:  If you do not maintain your credential through required CE and fees, you will no longer be certified. You will need to reinstate your credential. You will only be eligible to earn CE once you have completed the reinstatement process. No CE can be earned for events attended during your inactive period.

Q:  How do I know if I am short CE?

A:  ANFP strongly recommends that you keep track of your CE period by checking your CE report online.  Simply log in to your profile online at www.CBDMonline.org and select “MY CERTIFICATION” in the menu options on the left.  You will see CE activity that has been reported. If you have any questions throughout your certification period contact the PDS Department via e-mail at info@CBDMonline.org or phone at 800.323.1908.

Q:  How do I know my CE hours will be approved?

A:  CE hours are not approved on a per activity basis, but will be monitored via the audit process. All CDMs are encouraged to refer to the CBDM Guide To Maintaining Your CDM CFPP Credential for acceptable CE activities.

Q:  How long do I need to keep required documentation in case I am audited?

A:  CDMs are required to retain all documentation records in their files for at least two consecutive three-year CE cycles for auditing/verification purposes.

Q:  How do I report my hours if I do not have a computer?

A:  Complete the CE Record Form available HERE and mail or fax (prior to May 31 at the end of your cycle) to the CBDM and the hours will be entered into your online CE record for you.

IMPORTANT: Always keep a copy of everything you submit for CE hours.